Featured Post

Click here for our SeeSaw blog

We use SeeSaw to communicate daily! Some of our post are available through the SeeSaw Blog  !

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Building Numbers/Numeracy

Lay the foundation for students by giving them every opportunity to develop number sense.  I use flash cards for a quick review.  Each number card is introduced as the number is introduced.  They are compiled and ...presto....a quick number sense routine.


 
 

 5 Frames. As I show the card I say "I have...." and they yell out the number.  Then I say "I need...." and they yell out how many more I need to get to 5.


These are my favorite!  How many students recount the fingers on their hands...every time?!?  LOTS so here are flash cards to help.  This is great for teaching counting on.  I used the die cut hand and folded the fingers down.
10 Frames. As I show the card I say "I have...." and they yell out the number.  Then I say "I need...." and they yell out how many more I need to get to 10. 
20 Frames. Same as above, as I show the card I say "I have...." and they yell out the number.  Then I say "I need...." and they yell out how many more I need to get to 20.  Counting on and decomposing numbers can be touch through repetition.

No comments:

Post a Comment